Do you live near Royan or do you have a vacation in Charente-Maritime? Among the outings to do your family or your friends, plan a visit to the Palmyre zoo. This animal park does not lack assets!
La Palmyre Zoo ranks among the largest zoos in France
Located in Les Mathes on the Atlantic coast, La Palmyre Zoo is one of the most popular animal parks in France.
Founded in 1966, it is now home to over 1,600 animals of 115 different species. They live in an area of 18 hectares.
La Palmyre Zoo is renowned for its natural environment and proximity to the food. Indeed, several enclosures, such as those of the elephants, allow you to get as close as possible to the animals.
Of course, it does not have the international dimension of Beauval Zoo, but it is certainly among the good French animal parks.
What can you see during a visit to La Palmyre Zoo?
As in all zoos, the animals are the main part of the visit. I won’t mention all of them, but you see animals from all over the world:
- Mammals: alpaca, bison, gibbon, giraffe, gorilla, cheetah, lion, otter, lynx, zebra…
- Birds: macaw, cockatoo, hornbill, crane, pelican, vulture…
- Reptiles: anaconda, boa, crocodile, iguana, turtle…
La Palmyre Zoo also offers interactive activities for visitors, such as feeding goats, llamas and ponies in the wild or a tree climbing course for children.
There is also an educational discovery trail, a conservation area for turtles and a mini-farm for younger visitors.
Finally, there is the possibility to do a train safari to discover wild animals such as antelopes, rhinoceroses and dromedaries.
What is the entrance fee for La Palmyre Zoo?
The entrance fee for La Palmyre Zoo is :
- 19€ for an adult (16€ for disabled persons)
- 15€ for a child from 3 to 12 years old (12€ for disabled persons)
- Free for children under 3 years old.
Annual membership cards are available:
- 57€ for an adult
- 45€ for a child.
How long does a visit to La Palmyre Zoo last?
The park being large, the standard tour is 4.2 kilometers long. The estimated duration of the visit is therefore between 3h30 and 4h30.
Where is La Palmyre Zoo located?
The exact address of the Zoo de la Palmyre is 6 avenue de Royan – 17570 Les Mathes.
How to get to La Palmyre Zoo?
By car, the easiest way is to take the highway:
- Exit 35 “Saintes” of the A10 in the direction Paris – Bordeaux
- Exit 37 “Mirambeau” of the A in the direction Bordeaux-Paris.
If you are on vacation in Royan, you will find signs on the main roads of the town indicating the direction of the animal park.
On site, two large free parking lots allow you to easily park your vehicle.
For a train ride, stop at the Royan train station and take a shuttle bus to La Palmyre Zoo. Several bus lines provide daily trips.
What are the opening hours of La Palmyre Zoo?
La Palmyre Zoo is open all year-round, including public holidays.
The opening hours are:
- From April 1 to September 30: 9:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- From October 1st to March 31st: 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.
What other activities can I do near La Palmyre Zoo?
There are many interesting activities to do within an hour of La Palmyre Zoo. Here are some ideas:
- The beaches of the Atlantic Coast are easily accessible from La Palmyre and are ideal for a day at sea.
- Royan is a beautiful town located only 15 minutes from La Palmyre. You can discover beaches, restaurants, cafes, stores and visits such as the marina.
- There are many companies offering boat trips to nearby islands, lighthouses and coves along the coast.
- La Rochelle, located less than an hour’s drive from La Palmyre, offers many attractions for all ages, from the old port and its towers to the La Rochelle Aquarium.
- The region is also famous for its oyster farmers and its seafood. Many visits are organized to discover the ponds and the salt marshes.